Some passport applications require someone else (the ‘countersignatory’) to prove the identity of the person applying.

Guide to British passport application countersigning

Share on facebook

Some passport applications require someone else (the ‘countersignatory’) to prove the identity of the person applying.

You will need to have your application countersigned under the following conditions

  • first adult passport
  • first child passport
  • replacement for a lost, stolen or damaged passport
  • renewal of a passport for a child aged 11 or under
  • renewal of a passport if your appearance has changed and you cannot be recognised from your existing passport or the passport expired before 2014


Who can sign your form

Your countersignatory must:

  • have known you (or the adult who signed the form if the passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years
  • be able to identify you, for example they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows you professionally)
  • be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or working or retired from a recognised profession

Who cannot be your countersignatory

You cannot ask someone to countersign your passport if you’re:

  • related to them by birth or marriage
  • in a relationship or live at the same address as them


Your countersignatory must have a current British (including BNO), Irish, EU, US or Commonwealth passport.

If they have a US, Commonwealth, or non-British or non-Irish EU passport, you must include with your application a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it.

Your application will be processed faster if they have a British or Irish passport.


What the countersignatory can expect

Your countersignatory may be contacted by HM Passport Office for more information. Your application may be delayed if they’re not available, for example they’re on holiday.


You’ll be asked to find someone else if your countersignatory does not meet the requirements.


Completing the countersign declaration form

It is important that you insure this form is completed in BLACK INK ONLY and must be filled in CAPITALS ONLY

Should you make a mistake, do not cover the error in correction fluid, just put a line through the error and write the correct wording next to it on the same line if possible and sign next to the error.

More News and Information

British National Overseas (BNO) Visa

英國國民(海外) 簽證

To find out more information about or apply for the British National Overseas (BNO) visa.